Columbus Wears Black
Compound Columbus Poetry Night
Last Saturday the Compound returned to Columbus! I must say I was excited to get my poetry fix in. Red Storm, Mr. Emotional, and Fresh Prince came to town and killed it.
This was my first time seeing Fresh Prince. I enjoyed watching him perform. I was glad I was there to finally see him. It was most definitely worth it.
Red Storm, I’ve seen once before. I could tell the people really enjoyed him! He was real and very transparent during each of his pieces. His story is raw and real.
Mr. Emotional was also a treat. I was looking forward to seeing him perform again. He really bought out the emotional side of poetry. I love his cause he spoke about to help the children.
Each of the featured artist was great and had a unique flavor that made the show rock. The local artist that participated also were really good. I always enjoy seeing them. Let’s not forget DJ Truz was in the house too!
I’m definitely glad you have the Compound back. Thank you Solow Ent. for making this happen. I’m looking forward to your next event!
Official Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
“See it. Believe it. Achieve it.”
As we begin to end 2018, we should be prepared for 2019. You should have your list of goals complete by now. Now it’s time to build your Vision Board if you haven’t done so already.
Here are some steps to help you create a vision board.
1. Create a list of goals for three upcoming year. Also add how you plan to attain those goals. Decide on what you want, need, and value.
2. Gather your supplies.
- Poster board, blank art book, cork board to place your pictures on.
- Glue, or something to attach the pictures with
- Markers, pens or paints
3. Find pictures that represent your goals or That inspire you.
4. Attach photos to board in a way that’s visibly pleasing to you.
5. Once your Vision board is complete, hang it somewhere you can see it. This is your visual. I like to take a picture so it’ll be on my phone at all times.
6. Check your board regularly. Mark off what’s been completed. Because things change, adjust your board when needed.
“Becoming” by Michelle Obama
I don’t typically read autobiographies. However, I love hearing and watching her speak. This book was in my reading list a few months ago when we were working on our book club reading list. I knew then that I would be buying this book.
While the book was a touch longer than most books I read, I was excited to get started. I downloaded the audible version so I can listen while cleaning, driving and working out. It’s a bonus that Michelle Obama read her own book.
The book stated off with her at a young age. It’s an age where I’m surprised she remembered with such detail. She told a lot about her life as she grew up. She discussed her high school years, her college years and her post college years. She shared her feelings in great detail.
As the book moved from “Becoming Me” to “Becoming Us”, she laid the ground work for her meeting Barrack Obama. Again she spoke in great detail about how she felt about him and their relationship. She described how they moved from him being in the senate, to running for congress to running for President. I don’t really know what it was specifically bout Chapter 17, but that chapter warmed my heart and almost bought me to tears.
She followed “Becoming Us” up with “Becoming More”. This section focused on the remaining time she spent as First Lady and moving out of the White House. I loved the way she told the story of her life. It made me laugh, cry and cringe. I couldn’t get upset, because she handled it with stride. It was very encouraging to see where she came from and where she ended up. I love how she is confident enough to share her feelings of love and hatred.
I enjoyed this book thoroughly. I really enjoyed listening to he audible version. It allowed you to hear from Michelle Obama herself. Overall, a great read!
Overall Rating: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Well here we are, in the final weeks of 2018. I hope you all have had an excellent year. I’m looking forward to see how you all end the year with a bang. It seems as if 2018 has flew by. I originally thought the year was moving very slow until I looked up and saw that it was already October, then N2vember and now December. Would you agree?
I took a moment to look at my vision board for this year and was pretty satisfied at what I accomplished this year, even with my setbacks. Before I looked at my board, I sat back and thought about what I’ve done this year, and initially, I didn’t think I had completed much. When I did look at my board, I saw just how much on my board I did accomplish. Normally I hang my vision board up so I can see it daily, but this year, I never did hang it up. Still, I made sure I had a visual on my phone and other devices.
For many of you, this is your extra busy season. Business increases across the board just about. For some, it’s your chance to relax. If you’re not an entrepreneur then you’re probably busy on the other end, shopping, preparing for family and friends. Whatever you’re doing the rest of the year, end it with bang. Enjoy it to the fullest.
How will you be wrapping up the year and starting the new year for you and your business? Are you running specials or just boosting a special product or service? Have you already created your plans for 2019? For me, I’ve written my plans, looked over them, and made changes already. I even have my 2019 hashtags. They are #AlwaysFindAWay and #FollowYourBliss. I’m not sure where I heard that at, but it hit a cord with me. From the time I heard it, it stuck with me. I made sure I immediately stored it in my notes as a reminder.
Some of the general broad things I plan to do:
- Increase my photography business
- Finish medical transcription class
- Travel More
- Do more creative projects
- Read More
- Network More
- Build my team
- More in person Friend and/or Business Dates
- Cater to myself more
Warning: May contain some spoilers.
I finally got the chance to watch “Equalizer 2” on Vudu. I must say I wasn’t that impressed with this one. I had to watch it twice. I thought at first I was just expecting what I saw in the first one. I had to clear my thoughts of the first one, minus the important details that carried over. And watching it a second time, I didn’t change my stance on how I felt about the movie.
The movie started very slow. I understand it had to have some back information, however, it was very slow starting, too much talking for almost the entire first hour. I found some parts of that hour entertaining. You do see the McCall charm as he deals with various people in his everyday life. I do like how they play through his emotions from the time he finds out about his friend until the end.
There wasn’t much action in this one. It seems as if all the action scenes were what we saw in the trailers for the movie. I’d say the climax of the movie hit in the second half.
There wasn’t clarity in the locations. One second you’re in the city. Next someone is asking for the airport, but they don’t show up in Brussels until a few scenes later, after they did something in the city.
I believe they could have made the movie a bit better than they did as far as consistency. The acting itself was good all the around. The story line was decent.
Overall Rating: ⭐⭐⭐
You know this topic is so easy to cover. To me the answer is simple DO NOT DO IT!!!! If you have kids then DON’T ALLOW IT!!! It really is that simple. No ifs, ands or buts.
I know there is not many years separating my generation from the one following after me. Still, it’s amazing how different the children act now to the parents. You know I could see it now. Don’t think I’d be where I am today if I tried some of the things they try now. How do you tell a parent what you will and won’t do? That is wrong on so many levels. No discipline at home, therefore no manners in public either. Even now as an adult, I still wouldn’t do those things I see happening, let alone as a minor. Mind you a minor isn’t paying any bills and still looking for mommy and daddy to bail them out of trouble. No, I’m not saying put them to work using child labor, or abusing your children, or any of those things. What I am saying, there is a line, a line you just don’t cross.
Some of the issues are children raising children. They just don’t know how to be parents. What can a 15 year old teach a child about life? They haven’t lived life to know. Then you have the issue where children are raising themselves or the television is raising them. Either way, that is not helping the cause either. It’s time to get a better handle on things.
Go ahead and say it. I know I don’t have children of my own. Yet, still, I help teach and train other children. I have a niece and nephew and plenty of adopted children around so I understand. Working in retail I’ve seen it all. Children yelling at parents and the parents saying nothing more than okay. I mean, is this where we are now? The age of children raising parents? Too many parents are trying to be their children’s friend instead of the parent. A spanking doesn’t make it worse. Now I’m not talking about beating the child. There is a difference and a thin line. I never want to see a child mentally or physically abused. All I’m saying is that a bit of punishment and/or discipline always work. Some children don’t even need spanking as a punishment, you can take something away such as an allowance, or video games. There are ways to do punishment without abusing. It’s about knowing your kids and what will work with them. Just as a reminder, what works with one child may not work with another one. For example, I have two sisters. My mom couldn’t punish us all the same way. A spanking or taking my books away worked with me (I think). Whereas with one of my sisters, a spanking would do nothing. Again, it’s about knowing your kids.
Like I said, this is a pretty straight forward topic to me. It is simple enough. Don’t do it and don’t allow it. What are your thoughts on the topic?
Movies, movies and more movies!!! I’ve always been a huge fan of movies. Over the years there has not been a shortage of movies. Some were good and others not so good.
Today I want to discuss movie series. There are many sequels out there. On this list I’ll share my favorite series that have three or more movies in them. So let’s get this party started!
- Matrix – There are many things I like about this set. The special effects always capture me. It literally starts at the opening scene. I remember trying to count them and we were at 50 in less than 10 minutes!
- Fast and Furious – Fast cars and an ever evolving story line. Granted I don’t know everything about cars, but I catch on pretty well. I think it is only one out of this series I didn’t much care for. Overall, I love the good chase. Even though there is some major off screen drama, their on screen dynamics is flawless.
- Back To The Future – This classic has been a favorite ever since I first watched it. Now that we are 3 years past 2015, how are the kids? What changes would they make to a reboot to for the current time?
- Die Hard – Drama during the holidays, what’s not to like? Granted I do find myself asking how many times can be continue to find himself in those situations? Good story lines and progressively better dialog.
- Men in Black – One of the things I love about this series is the comic connection the characters have. It keeps the movies light and fun.
- Nightmare on Elm Street – As far as horror, this was my favorite. They don’t make them like that anymore!
- Avengers – Some of the Marvel superheros in one place. I don’t claim to know all the small details that came from the comics because I would rather read a book. However, I love the action in these movies. Of course they include some of my favorite superheros too.
- Mission Impossible – What’s not to love about this action packed, adrenaline pumping movie set? Tom Cruise never disappoints with these movies. I also love the fact that he does most of his own stunts in these too.
- Bourne – The mystery surrounding Jason Bourne! I love it! It contains just enough romance to where it’s not taking over the movies and a lot of action. To me, this is some of Matt Damon’s best work.
- Blade – When it comes to vampires, these are the perfect movies to watch. Not all that romance and love stuff (nothing wrong with romance).
What are some of your favorite movie series?
Join the Pre-Valentine’s Day Cruise to the Eastern Caribbean!!!
Carnival Cruise Lines
Port: Port Canaveral
Amber Cove, Dominican Republic
Interior: Starting at $469.27
Oceanview: starting at $544.27
Includes taxes & gratuities
$50 Deposit due by 12/6/18
$150 payment by 3/16/19
$150 payment by 8/16/19
Contact info: Mashawn Mickels